For the first time ever, I'm participating in a bowl confidence pool. This one is sponsored by our friends over at In The Bleachers. It is free and open to the public, so head on over if you're interested in seeing how you measure up.
Anyway, here are my picks, ranked one through 34, with a quick take on the game. I'll have some more extensive breakdowns of some of my favorite match-ups in the next few days,. It's all leading up to the big one: Oklahoma and Stanford squaring off in the Brut Sun Bowl.
Blatant Homerism's 2009 Bowl Confidence Picks
1. Humanitarian Bowl: Idaho over Bowling Green
Like a home game for Vandals, but whatever.
2. Las Vegas Bowl: BYU over Oregon State
Got an upset feeling here, although it could be the burrito I had for dinner.
3. International Bowl: South Florida over Northern Illinois
Not one of our finest exports to our neighbors to the north.
4. Poinsettia Bowl: Utah over California
Historically, the Utes play some great ball come bowl season.
5. Chick-fil-A Bowl: Tennessee over Virginia Tech
A bowl win over a top program would be a good way for first-year coach Lane Kiffin to build more momentum heading into prime recruiting season.
6. EagleBank Bowl: Temple over UCLA
Pretty far from the bright lights of Westwood.
7. Texas Bowl: Navy over Missouri
Have a feeling Navy's grind-it-out offense will paste Mizzou defense and keep its potent offense on the sidelines.
8. Independence Bowl: Texas A&M over Georgia
Not having a defensive coordinator would be a problem, 'Dawgs. (Sorry, Sic 'Em.)
9. Insight Bowl: Iowa State over Minnesota
'Sota stinks, while rookie coach Paul Rhoads is leading Cyclones in his first bowl game.
10. PapaJohns Bowl: UConn over South Carolina
Randy Edsall's staying, so Huskies are winning.
11. Capital One Bowl: LSU over Penn State
Tigers have performed well in bowls under coach Les Miles, but it's tough to find a strong angle on this one.
12. Music City Bowl: Kentucky over Clemson
The Wildcats own Nashville this time of year.
13. Gator Bowl: West Virginia over Florida State
Not buying that playing for Bowden will carry the day in this one.
14. Rose Bowl: Oregon over Ohio State
Worried that Buckeyes may be gunning to get over BCS blues.
15. Orange Bowl: Georgia Tech over Iowa
Ramblin' Wreck will be pumped for a BCS game.
16. Sun Bowl: Oklahoma over Stanford
Please please please please please...
17. Armed Forces Bowl: Houston over Air Force
Falcons have a shot, as Cougars haven't faced a pass defense of this caliber.
18. Champs Sports Bowl: Miami over Wisconsin
The U will throw all over the Badgers, who are completely uninspiring.
19. Hawaii Bowl: Nevada over SMU
Still like Wolf Pack in this one, but the fired-up Mustangs would make a nice money line bet.
20. Holiday Bowl: Arizona over Nebraska
Love Cornhuskers' D, loathe their O.
21. Cotton Bowl: Ole Miss over Oklahoma State
Rebels are better team, although Pokes may be looking to erase bad memories from last year's bowl trip.
22. GMAC Bowl: Central Michigan over Troy
CMU quarterback Dan LeFevour's teammates will want to send him out on a high note.
23. Meineke Car Care Bowl: North Carolina over Pittsburgh
The Panthers can't be pleased they're not playing a BCS game.
24. Little Caesars Pizza Bowl: Ohio over Marshall
No coach for Marshall means no problem for Ohio.
25. Emerald Bowl: USC over Boston College
Nutty that Trojans are playing in this game, but their talent will overwhelm BC.
26. Texas Tech over Michigan State
Spartans hurt by suspensions.
27. Outback Bowl: Auburn over Northwestern
Rookie coaching staff will want win badly in bowl debut, and Tiger fans are fired up about the direction of the program.
28. Fiesta Bowl: TCU over Boise State
Two quality teams, but Horned Frogs are mean and motivated.
29. St. Petersburg Bowl: Rutgers over Central Florida
If the Golden Knights want to slow down the Scarlet Knights, they should send them to Beef 'O' Brady's for the pregame meal.
30. BCS National Championship Game: Alabama over Texas
The fear here would be basing too much on the conference championship games, but the Tide seems lack a really bad match-up for Texas.
31. Sugar Bowl: Florida over Cincinnati
I'll take disappointed team against coach-less team.
32. New Orleans Bowl: Southern Mississippi over Middle Tennesse State
Coach Larry Fedora's spread offense will be too much for the Blue Raiders.
33. Liberty Bowl: Arkansas over East Carolina
Bobby Petrino won't take any prisoners in his first BCS appearance with the Hogs.
34. New Mexico Bowl: Fresno State over Wyoming
Cowboys scarier than they first appear, but they're not all that great.